testing zol (and even btrfs !)
Emmanuel Anne
2012-01-12 13:56:39 UTC
After my recent checksum problem I decided to convert the partition to
something else. For now it's btrfs, I still have an external zfs backup of
it anyway.

And while I was at it, I decided to try my home on zol (here too I have an
external mirror of course).
I made a 1st patch to have lzo support because my home is already full of
files compressed with lzo. The patch is not so easy because the lzo module
of the kernel is supposed to be gpl-only, and so a cddl module is forbiden
to link with it. Quite messy....
+ you still have to do 1 userland version (for the utilities) and 1 kernel
version, since libzpool includes zio_compress.c which references
lzo_compress/lzo_decompress.
So I had to say the zfs module was gpl to be able to link the lzo module,
what a shame...

nfs shares don't seem to work (much harder in the kernel anyway), samba
shares probably work though and it will be enough here.

Anyway. For now it's working. A few of the posix conformance tests fail,
nothing much, and I'll just ignore them for now.
There is not a huge speed difference compared to zfs-fuse apparently (maybe
on some specific operations), it seems faster though.
At least it doesn't crash 5 seconds after loading it !
We'll see how all this goes...
--
my zfs-fuse git repository :
http://rainemu.swishparty.co.uk/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=zfs;a=summary
Seth Heeren
2012-01-12 14:56:52 UTC
I made nfs exports work by doing sharenfs=on; less flexible(?) but it
works like a charm for my purposes (many nested fs-es)

zfs set sharenfs=on $(zfs get -H -r -s local,received sharenfs -o
name)

Oh, and

- I have `zfs share -a` in /etc/rc.local...
- I had to `zpool import -d /dev/disk/by-id` for the usual reasons

I have migrated my Solaris box to Linux over Christmas. It was done in
an hour, and I must say, it is a lot faster for most operations (not
with partprobe,blkid and stuff like that, due to my having many
ZVols). Especially receiving send streams is a **lot** faster.

I haven't tested ISCSI sharing (apparently needs patches)

I don't think I'm looking back at IllumOS/Nexenta etc. because I
rather like the fact that I can administer this box without resorting
to Blastwave, Sun CSW repo's and other hairy contraptions. I like my
GNU userland :)

$0.02
Seth Heeren

Seth Heeren
2012-01-12 15:05:40 UTC
http://groups.google.com/a/zfsonlinux.org/group/zfs-discuss/browse_thread/thread/ba30dcfb39c48000/75e42be91c638b1b
Emmanuel Anne
2012-01-12 16:05:33 UTC
Yes finally even nfs works, I just had an error message talking about
share(1m) not found but they can be made to work.
I had a hard crash too, no consequence so far.
Later...
To visit our Web site, click on http://zfs-fuse.net/