zfs-fuse: error detaching device (Was: Re: zfs-fuse stuff)
Durval Menezes
2016-07-10 15:47:54 UTC
Hello Gordan,

Using your version from the GIT here, cloned 2015-05-27 23:35 GMT, with
Linux Mint 17, successfully for a few months now; no issues until today.

I'm getting "no such device in pool" errors when trying to detach a vdev
from a mirror:

zpool status
pool: HD_ARCHIVE_0009
state: ONLINE
status: The pool is formatted using an older on-disk format.
The pool can
still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is
done, the
pool will no longer be accessible on older software
versions.
scan: resilvered 119G in 5h20m with 0 errors on Wed May 4
00:24:54 2016
config:
NAME STATE
READ WRITE CKSUM
HD_ARCHIVE_0009 ONLINE
0 0 0
mirror-0 ONLINE
0 0 0
disk/by-id/dm-name-ZFS_ARCHIVE_0009f ONLINE
0 0 0
disk/by-id/dm-name-ZFS_ARCHIVE_0009c ONLINE
0 0 0
errors: No known data errors

zpool detach HD_ARCHIVE_0009 disk/by-id/dm-name-ZFS_ARCHIVE_0009c

cannot detach disk/by-id/dm-name-ZFS_ARCHIVE_0009c: no such device in pool

As an old ZFS hand, I've seen these errors happen before (with ZoL) and
they happened, I was always able to detach the device using its GUID:

zdb HD_ARCHIVE_0009 | less

[...]
guid: 2748028746382267204
path:
'/dev/disk/by-id/dm-name-ZFS_ARCHIVE_0009c'
[...]

But not this time:

zpool detach HD_ARCHIVE_0009 2748028746382267204
cannot detach 2748028746382267204: no such device in
pool

Can you tell me whether this is a known issue with zfs-fuse or your
version, or that I'm messing things up somewhere?

Thanks,
--
Durval.
FYI, the next thing I'm planning to do with zfs-fuse is backport ZoL's
zfs-dracut package so that I can get rootfs on zfs-fuse working without
manual intervention.
I would also love to figure out and fix whatever is causing this to flood
zfs-fuse: sending ioctl 2285 to a partition!
AFAICT zfs-fuse is sending an ioctl to flush the caches, but when ZFS is
on partitions, it invokes it on partitions rather than underlying block
devices. I'm not 100% sure but I think what it should be doing instead is a
simple fsync() instead, but I'm not 100% sure, and the interest in zfs-fuse
from experts like Emmanuel and Seth seems to be at an all time low. :-(
Hi Gordan,
Sure, got them all here, and was about to clone your new git repository
and compile some fresh packages here using it.
Just cloned it and I'm having a look around. Found that on the top-level
Currently, it only works on the x86, amd64 and sparc64 architectures.
Shouldn't this be updated to reflect the fact that it also runs fine on
ARM?
Cheers,
--
Durval.