Failing to create a RAIDZ
Qasim Al Khuzaie
2013-03-27 14:22:47 UTC
Dear Members of the Group,

I bought a full tower case with 8 SATA mobo recently. So far I attached 3
HDD with 3 TB each and an SSD to have Ubuntu Server on (sdd). I installed
zfs-fuse and created my first ZFS pool

sudo zpool create data raidz sda sdb sdc
and after

sudo zpool list
I get

NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE CAP DEDUP HEALTH ALTROOT
data 8.12T 147K 8.12T 0% 1.00x ONLINE -
Where I am supposed to get 5.5TB instead of 8.12 (1 disk is dedicated here
for parity)

I was previously successful at doing this quite a while ago, using the same
command line then had the pool destroyed. Do I have to format the disks
again? If so what do I have to do to have them properly formatted?

Your help will be appreciated!
Christ Schlacta
2013-03-27 18:55:58 UTC
zpool list shows raw capacity, zfs list shows usable space. Compare the
output of the two. If zfs list is correct you've actually succeeded.
Post by Qasim Al Khuzaie
Dear Members of the Group,
I bought a full tower case with 8 SATA mobo recently. So far I attached 3
HDD with 3 TB each and an SSD to have Ubuntu Server on (sdd). I installed
zfs-fuse and created my first ZFS pool
sudo zpool create data raidz sda sdb sdc
and after
sudo zpool list
I get
NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE CAP DEDUP HEALTH ALTROOT
data 8.12T 147K 8.12T 0% 1.00x ONLINE -
Where I am supposed to get 5.5TB instead of 8.12 (1 disk is dedicated here
for parity)
I was previously successful at doing this quite a while ago, using the
same command line then had the pool destroyed. Do I have to format the
disks again? If so what do I have to do to have them properly formatted?
Your help will be appreciated!
To visit our Web site, click on http://zfs-fuse.net/
---
Qasim Al Khuzaie
2013-03-27 20:36:27 UTC
Wow... OK... Never thought of that!

Thanks Christ! Thanks a bunch!! All seems fine here!
Post by Qasim Al Khuzaie
[...]
Qasim Al-Khuzaie (a.k.a Qasim A. Rasool)
QRasool-***@public.gmane.org
Mobile: +973 3646 6698
Web: http://Qassoom.ME