Does zfs-fuse track illumos?
Stefan Lasiewski
2012-03-30 20:43:06 UTC
I've been reading up on the changes to the ZFS project formerly maintained
at http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Community+Group+zfs/ .

It appears that most groups, such as zfsonlinux.org, FreeBSD, Nexenta and
OpenIndiana are either tracking or cooperating on illumos.org .

Is zfs-fuse also tracking the illumos code base?

Thank you,

-= Stefan
Emmanuel Anne
2012-03-30 22:21:38 UTC
No. Volunteer ?
--
To visit our Web site, click on http://zfs-fuse.net/
Stefan Lasiewski
2012-04-09 23:47:34 UTC
If zfs-fuse does not track ZFS from illumos, then what does zfs-fuse use as
the upstream source?

Does this project plan to track the Oracle ZFS source if Oracle ever
releases updates to ZFS in the future?

I ask, because there appears to be a lot of development around the open
source ZFS hosted at illumos.org , while Oracle ZFS development is closed
to outsiders.

-= Stefan
Post by Emmanuel Anne
No. Volunteer ?
Emmanuel Anne
2012-04-10 10:25:07 UTC
I think we'll just stop here, at least I'll do. My latest updates (pool 26,
faster snapshots deletion) never got to the "stable" version, and we are
simply not enough people working on it right now. Plus the latest changes
are less interesting for fuse (encryption, bah you can do that by a few
different ways without adding any code).
Plus it's complex.
Plus there are alternatives now (zol, and btrfs continues to improve).
It seems like a good time to stop, zfs-fuse is good enough for me, and in
the beginning I just planned to do a few patches to improve a few things,
it was way before deciding to integrate the latest opensolaris patches... !
So if someone wants to take it from here, he's welcome, if not it will
probably stop here (just maintenance work if we find stuff which can be
improved without too much work).
Post by Stefan Lasiewski
If zfs-fuse does not track ZFS from illumos, then what does zfs-fuse use
as the upstream source?
Does this project plan to track the Oracle ZFS source if Oracle ever
releases updates to ZFS in the future?
I ask, because there appears to be a lot of development around the open
source ZFS hosted at illumos.org , while Oracle ZFS development is closed
to outsiders.
-= Stefan
Post by Emmanuel Anne
No. Volunteer ?
I've been reading up on the changes to the ZFS project formerly
maintained at http://hub.opensolaris.org/**bin/view/Community+Group+zfs/<http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Community+Group+zfs/>.
uk/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=zfs;a=**summary<http://rainemu.swishparty.co.uk/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=zfs;a=summary>
Stefan Lasiewski
2012-04-10 18:48:29 UTC
Well in that case, thank you everyone for your hard work. zfs-fuse was
instrumental in making ZFS visible to Linux users.

I know that BTRFS is discussed a lot, but I want to point out that ZFS
outside of Oracle seems to be very active.

If you interested in other ZFS projects, I know that http://zfsonlinux.org/
is looking for people who are knowledgeable in both ZFS and Linux. I am
tracking zfsonlinux.org, and the project is pretty active, and I suspect
they will release version 0.60 real soon now. They have packages for
RedHat/CentOS/SL and a PPA for Ubuntu.

Also, illmos.org is an opensource collaboration between major ZFS players,
including Nexenta and OpenIndiana (A replacement for OpenSolaris). I read
that they are looking for people to help. The following video is
a fascinating summary of the reasons behind illumos.org, and is well worth
a watch:

-= Stefan
Post by Stefan Lasiewski
If zfs-fuse does not track ZFS from illumos, then what does zfs-fuse use
as the upstream source?
Does this project plan to track the Oracle ZFS source if Oracle ever
releases updates to ZFS in the future?
I ask, because there appears to be a lot of development around the open
source ZFS hosted at illumos.org , while Oracle ZFS development is
closed to outsiders.
-= Stefan
No. Volunteer ?
Durval Menezes
2012-06-17 01:37:31 UTC
Hi Emmanuel, folks,
Post by Stefan Lasiewski
Well in that case, thank you everyone for your hard work. zfs-fuse was
instrumental in making ZFS visible to Linux users.
I want to second that "thank you". I''ve been using ZFS-FUSE for almost 4
years now, and during all that time (except last week, when a pool
disappeared but was quickly and completely recovered) it never gave me any
trouble at all: just steady, reliable performance (even if it was not
particularly fast, but I understand that in FUSE-land this comes with the
territory).

Here's to hoping that the ZFS-On-Linux project picks up the slack and
produces ASAP a release as good and stable as ZFS-FUSE has been all these
years... After some testing here, I'm really not keen on BTRFS, and I bet
it will be at least many months (and more probably a couple of years)
before it's really safe to use in production.

Cheers,
--
Durval.
Emmanuel Anne
2012-06-17 07:28:37 UTC
Just a quick note on btrfs to say I am very happy with their acceleration
in kernel 3.4.x, really very noticable for me, it was worth re-creating
some of the partitions here. Except that no data loss to report, but it's
sure to be less easy to use that zfs, there are still much less functions
in it, and I keep a zfs-fuse partition for dedup.
Post by Durval Menezes
Hi Emmanuel, folks,