How long does a zpool create take on a 3TB drive?
Wei-Yeh Lee
2012-02-24 05:47:30 UTC
Hello zfs pros,

I'm starting to setup my first zpool with just one disk (3TB) and an
SSD (120G). I ran

$ sudo zpool create data /dev/sdc cache /dev/sdb

and it has been running for more than 24 hours and it is still
chugging away.. 93.87% busy and writing 3.849MB/s
Here is a snippet from iostat

$ iostat -x 15 200

Device: rrqm/s wrqm/s r/s w/s rkB/s wkB/s
avgrq-sz avgqu-sz await r_await w_await svctm %util
sda 0.00 0.07 0.00 0.20 0.00 1.60
16.00 0.00 5.33 0.00 5.33 5.33 0.11
sdb 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
dm-0 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
sdc 0.00 0.00 480.93 481.27 3847.47 3849.07
16.00 2.43 2.53 2.58 2.48 0.98 93.87

Is this expected or should I kill this off and do something else? I
looked all through the forums and I couldn't find the answer to my
questions.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best,
/weiyeh
Christ Schlacta
2012-02-24 07:06:53 UTC
Post by Wei-Yeh Lee
[...]
It should be nearly instantaneous. Kill it, nuke the drive tables
(don't forget the gpt tables at the END of the drives!), reboot the
system, then retry. If you have issues again, repost with any
additional information you can provide, including zfs version, drives,
processor, controller, etc.
Wei-Yeh Lee
2012-02-24 14:45:00 UTC
Post by Christ Schlacta
[...]